There is no need to worry if chewing gum gets stuck in your child’s hair (or maybe your own hair). Simply follow these steps from dermatology providers:
- Find a jar of creamy style peanut butter, vegetable oil, or olive oil.
- Cover the gum completely with peanut butter or oil using your fingers or an old toothbrush. With peanut butter, the oils in the product make the chewing gum base stiffer and less sticky.
- Wait a few minutes to allow the product to work.
- Remove the gum from the hair. Vegetable oil is especially useful when removing gum from eyebrows or eyelashes.
- Wash your child’s hair as normal.
If you have questions or concerns about caring for your hair, you should make an appointment to see a dermatology provider.
If you have any dermatology needs, the providers at Advanced Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center would be pleased to be a part of your health care.
Fayetteville: 1444 E Stearns St. Fayetteville, AR 72703 (479-718-7546)
Bentonville: 701 NW McNelly Rd. Bentonville, AR 72712 (479-268-3555)
Ryan Crowder MPAS, PA-C
Article adapted from an original article by the AAD.